Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Received a used D-800 ? Looks like it/Please Comment

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
FutureFocus

Leominster, US
64 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
FutureFocus Registered since 18th Feb 2013
Wed 17-Apr-13 12:39 AM | edited Wed 17-Apr-13 12:42 AM by FutureFocus

My "new" D-800 appears to be used or otherwise recycled !!

Upfront, indications are this has been in somebody's else hands.

Right after I ordered this, I immediately wrote B & H's customer service department and specifically stated not to send me a refurbished unit, old stock, returned camera for any reason and that I expected/required brand new and never opened before buying one sight unseen.

Imagine my anticipation over the past few days while waiting for my camera to arrive from B&H. I've spent/invested my hours in reading all about this model (on this and other major forums) & in particular users questions, experience, concerns & issues.

I bookmarked threads that are especially important & relevant such how does one initially test to see if your unit is new. Here's is my experience.

a) I put in the supplied battery which came already partly charged. It was only a single bar however it still powered the camera. I recharged it to full capacity for testing purposes which it did very quickly.

Isn't the battery generally supposed to come dead (more or less) because it's been sitting around for so long (if a unit is truly new and factory fresh)? Than has been my experience to date.

b) Instead of asking me to select the language and then set-up the date/time etc. upon powering it on for the very 1st time, it immediately went to the main menu.

c) I inserted a brand new unlocked 30 MB p/s Sandisk 64 gig Ultra SDXC card.

d) I took 2 shots. The data from freshly installed Opanda v2.3 EXIF read two total pictures taken which was correct. So I received a cam with a zero shutter count in theory which is the goal.

Now for the kicker, the date-time info on each shot read 08.13.12 @ 2.08 pm. Keep in mind that today is April 16th, 2013 and I first opened it around 4 pm today.

So, the evidence shows someone else was the first to use this camera and assign the date/time during initial set-up.

e) Considering I've seen US serial numbers listed online in the range of 305xxxx and 306xxxx, imagine my frustration when my serial number fell in the 304xxxx range which is aging at this juncture. I bet in mid August last year a 304xxxx S/N was relatively current but not in April 2013!

f) The back screen was not pristine clean either. Upon inspection, it looked like there were a couple of fingermarks.

g) I put on my 6 week old 24-120 f4 and didn't get focused results. Don't know why yet. I'm really trying to limited my test shots for a hassle free return if it goes there.

So, given the above what are your views on my experience to date?

1) Would someone initially set-up the language and date, take no pictures, somehow found an issue, had buyers remorse (or whatever) and returned it in the 2nd half of Aug 2012 where it sat in a warehouse until to mid April 2013 (a total of 8 months) until it reached my hands earlier today?

2) Couldn't a model that could be 20,000 or so production units from the current serial #'s be more likely to have issues? Am I better off obtaining one with a current one?

3) Is it possible to discover a major flaw or some other deal -breaker such as the left AF issue without taking a picture?

In summary, I'm at a loss other to state the above. What do you think?

4) Do you agree that it should be swapped/exchanged out as who knows what happened to the unit prior to this afternoon which the evidence shows occurred while in others hands?

Something's definitely wrong/funky here.

Please comment.

Thanks

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Received a used D-800 ? Looks like it/Please Commen...
Reply message RE: Received a D-800 ? Looks like it/Please Comment

G