Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

800 arrives tomorrow - Need help to set-up & test!

FutureFocus

Leominster, US
64 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
FutureFocus Registered since 18th Feb 2013
Tue 16-Apr-13 01:34 AM

D- 800 questions: Unit arrives Tommorrow!

Finally! I bit the bullet thanks in part to wonderful assistance & sage advice from D-800 & 800E online owners and my first FX body should arrive in the morning! I'm grateful to apparently by accident get in on the last day of B& H's 6% rewards because now it's only 2. I'm hoping that this inquiry will not only continue to guide me along but also to serve future purchasers who will or are currently going through similar decisions & learning essential facts.

Mission: To set-up and prep the unit properly so it can be quickly determined if there are any issues lurking inside. I don't want to miss anything crucial.

Upon arrival I will:

Promptly take a shot & check the shutter count and otherwise make sure it's a new unit & install the latest firmware. Beyond that, please I'll need all of the advice & direction you're willing to offer.

a) Straight out of the box what stock/factory settings need to be tweaked or improved?

What did you do? Can one save customized settings?

b) Not a techno geek by any means. Without photos and charts how do I "tune" (is that the right word?) my 2 FX (24-120 f4 and 70-300VR) lenses to the AF system? Coming from a D-90 background, the concept of left, center and right AF points is almost totally foreign to me. What values/results are deemed acceptable for both b) and c)?

c) How does one easily determine if one has the infamous left focus issue or not?

What are the steps/procedure that a FX newbie can digest? Forgive me if my terms are not 100% accurate. I'm not eager to spend another $75-150 on specialized focus/tuning software which may or may not be reliable, accurate or provide a definitive answer.

d) I bought an extra battery however I'll need to get another card. Can't justify the $100 & up kind, however there must be a 32-64 gig SD card range for say 50 bucks that would be a reasonable compromise. Since it's for casual/travel use, speed isn't that crucial. My computer doesn't have USB 3.0 capability.

e) Any recommendations for a reasonably priced bag ( carry, not a backpack) that would:

1)Carry 2 extra lens in addition to ones mounted on the D-90 and D800 or:

2) Would comfortably accommodate the D-800 and its' two lens (1 mounted) by itself?

f) Any of you use a monopod in lieu of a tripod? Make & model appreciated. All suggestions welcome. Collapsable? Double as a hiking/walking stick?

g) Same for a tripod: Strong, durable, fairly with a head that will lock in the DSLR & keep the frame absolutely still.

Please help ensure that I know if my unit is issue free.

Thanks for you help.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: 800 arrives tomorrow - Need help to set-up & test!

G