Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 -- Nothing really new?

ajdooley

Waterloo, US
3378 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ajdooley Gold Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006
Wed 03-Apr-13 10:59 PM

I recently responded to a forum thread asking about the impacts of greater resolution. I too have wondered whether, as some are claiming, the 36mp sensor magnifies problems with lenses and technique. In my response I asked if we had the same discussion when Nikon introduced the D700 and many of us changed from the D200. I don't think so, but it may be another sign of age catching up with me.

In essence, what we have seen is parallel to introduction of a new film 20 years ago. We still use lenses to gather and then form an image on a plane. We still use focus mechanisms and systems to view and select a point of focus. So in the end, like replacing older films with newer ones, we have replaced an older sensor with a newer one that is capable of resolving more lines per millimeter and capturing light with a broader scene brightness range. Like the those transitioning from the D200 to the D700 not questioning this kind of advantage, we never heard people say that moving up to a new film was going to result in inferior results unless we bought new lenses, used high shutter speeds and stayed above f8 to avoid diffraction.

I hear the arguments about down sizing images or something or other, but I just don't see how better ability to record an image can be bad. Am I, in my aging status failing to grasp something here? I'll throw this one out for comment now.

Alan
Waterloo, IL, USA
www.proimagingmidamerica.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 -- Nothing really new?

G