Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Lens Choice Assistance Please

JohnInsa

Bedfordview, ZA
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JohnInsa Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jun 2009
Wed 03-Apr-13 08:34 AM

Hey Everyone

We need some advice please, just not sure this is the correct forum to post my question in though? My wife and myself are very keen wildlife photographers and in Dec 2012 both purchased D800's, having moved from D300's and D90's as our primaries. Our results have been mindblowing and spectacular in every way possible and we couldn't be more pleased with our purchases. This camera has totally changed our hobby and has now encouraged us to move further into birding. Being located in South Africa the specie choices here are simply amazing when on safari in the bush, but this in itself is creating a small problem as it is impossible to use a tripod when on safari in a vehicle, so hand held it has to be or monopod supported at best!!

We both have the 70-200 f2.8 which is a stunning lens. but even when coupled with a TC 2 or 1.4 and 1.7 doesn't give us the length we require to get really good shots of BIF. Yes we have a Sigma 150-500 which is okay on more static subjects and we also have the Nikon 80-400, but both lenses lack the speed required! Both lenses are great for the slower animal wildlife so will still be using them with our secondary D300's for that purpose

My question is, bearing in mind the tripod situation previously mentioned, what lenses should we consider buying to give us the length and the speed, both with and without using our converters! Weight is a problem I realise, cos the camera when coupled with the Nikon Grip is already quite heavy, let alone with 11lbs of 600mm.

Your thoughts and experiences would really be appreciated everyone.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have on this subject.

JohnInsa

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Lens Choice Assistance Please