Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

A few D800 observations

TomCurious

Bay Area, US
2352 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007
Tue 27-Mar-12 05:38 PM

My D800 came in. IQ is superb, as was already widely reported. Here are a few other observations from a longtime D700 owner:

1) Long exposure noise appears to be very low. With any new camera, I always do a quick test for hot pixels, shooting a 10s exposure at ISO 3200 with the lens cap on (High ISO NR off, Long exposure NR off). With such a test, my d700 shows quite a number of more or less dimly glowing pixels (nothing worrisome), but the D800 image is completely pitch black.

2) Why on earth did they have to swap the + and - buttons for the image zoom? I'm always pressing the wrong button now. Yes I guess I could get used to it if I only had this camera. But I plan to keep the D700 as well. This will be quite annoying.

3) The shutter sound is quite different than the D700. The D700 already had a loud clunking sound which I didn't care for much. Compared to that, the D800 sounds like a toy camera. It's not louder than the D700, but after the D800 shutter fires, there is an after sound, as if you hit a music box with a hammer. This is no big deal in most cases of course, but when shooting in a quiet environment it could get quite distracting.

4) The function button is in a much better place now, right below the DOF button. The ring finger sits on it automatically. On the D700, the function button was just in between the ring finger and pinkie, and I always had to "finger" for it.

5) The exposure compensation direction (both display and control) is reversed by default, but can be switched back to work like on the D700 via menu

6) The metering knob is hard to turn. On the D700, I could turn it with just my right thumb, even while looking through the viewfinder. It worked better than even on the D3s. On the D800, the knob is in the same place and it's about the same size, but the shape is very slightly different and it turns harder.

7) I love the "Easy ISO" option which can be turned on via menu. With that option, the ISO can be changed just by turning the command dial. I.e. in Aperture priority mode, the front control wheel sets the aperture, and the back control wheel sets the ISO. Newer cameras like the D7000 have this feature already.

8) The mode button has unfortunately been replaced with a video record button. Great for video shooters (not me). What were they thinking? The mode button is now farther away and harder to reach with the index finger (though it can still be reached without taking the hand off the grip).

9) The AF / M switch on the front of the camera is now harder to turn by accident. That switch on the D700 loved to catch onto something when pulling the camera out of the bag and then surprising me with manual focus mode.

10) The dedicated bracketing button is nice. On the D700, one could program a button for bracketing, but I already had other uses for the buttons, so the extra button is welcome. Exposure bracketing can still only be done only in increments of up to 1EV (unlike the D4).

So, there are many welcome changes I have seen so far. A few quirks that will take getting used to. Overall a superb camera.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: A few D800 observations