Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Technique for CDAF handheld on the fly

alanfairley

US
18 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
alanfairley Registered since 29th Jan 2013
Fri 22-Mar-13 09:26 PM

I realized you can use CDAF when handholding the camera for static shots. I have my camera set up for CD-AF with the AF-On button, and AF Activation set to AF-On only (shutter release button does not trigger focus). On static subjects with the camera up to my eye, I can place the AF box on what I want to focus on, holding the camera in place, I hit the LV button with my thumb and then the AF-On button to focus (the AF box in LV will always be in the same position as in the OVF). When focus is achieved, I hit the LV button again to exit LV. Assuming you are relatively steady, the focus point stays on the same thing throughout this entire process.

You can focus at f2.8 and stop down to your shooting aperture for increased accuracy (assuming your lens doesn't have any focus shift).

Obviously this won't work for "decisive moment" shots. Nor have I done any comparisons against PDAF to see if there is a significant enough PDAF miss rate to justify using the CDAF technique in the first place. Just throwing it out to the group.

G