Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Recommended lens for D800

This topic is locked. This message is locked.
paulfree17

Montville, US
132 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to send message via AOL IM
paulfree17 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jul 2009
Tue 19-Mar-13 12:18 AM

I have been shooting for the last several years with a D90 and a D7000. I have also been taking a lot of lessons. While I feel I have been pretty good with daylight and high EV conditions I find that I have some trouble in lower light. I am a serious hobbyist but I may want to sell some prints when I retire in a few years so I am always looking to improve myself and my equipment.

I am going to Italy in the summer and I am pretty sure I will not be allowed to use a tripod or flash in lower light.

I have been thinking about going to full frame and money is not basically an issue. My current lenses are as follows

DX Lenses - Tamron 18-270 VC PZD, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 DX

FF Lenses - Nikon 50 f1.4, Tamron 90 MM f2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-500 for wildlife (used infrequently). I am on the waiting list for the tamron 70-200 f2.8 with VC when it comes out for the Nikon.

My questions are.

1. Would the D800 give me better Dynamic Range and better low light focusing.

2. If I use my Tamron 18-270 as a travel lens and shoot in DX crop mode it should give me the same resolution as on my D7000. Will I lose focusing or dynamic range by using this lens? I know I will lose resolution.

3. I really want to minimize the lenses I need to carry for Italy so I would like to take the 18-270 and the Nikon 50 F1.4. Would it be worth getting the 28-300 FX lens and selling my 18-270? My thought is that since I would be using DX mode on the d800 for the 18-270 I would be no worse off then using it on the D7000 but that I would still benefit from the higher dynamic range and low light focusing.

Some of my pictures are posted below to give you an ideal of my level of ability (or lack thereof).

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)
Attachment#6 (jpg file)

Visit My Gallery at Pfotos-By-PFreedman

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Recommended lens for D800

G