Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Why the D800 will make me money...

PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US
2817 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011
Sat 31-Mar-12 05:30 AM

The major feature of the D800 is it's resolution. No doubt about it That resolution can allow us as 35mm DSLR photographers to do some things previously we were not able to do. At least not to the same level.

For me, the D800 is a replacement for much longer glass. And as such, it's one heck of a bargain. I offer the following two images as proof of what I mean, and why the D800 will be earning me money very shortly.

This first image looks rather unremarkable on the surface. Most people who don't shoot this sport will see it as a common batter swing taken from high down the third base line.

The truth lies in the EXIF info. That rather unremarkable image is taken with about a 420mm lens, from a parking garage across the street from the stadium. And even at that level of magnification, the batter is a very small portion of the frame.

Click on image to view larger version

This is a crop of the previous image. We can clearly see the stitching on the ball, the print of the sliding shorts under the uniform, the eye of the batter, and what brand of shoes she's wearing. We can see the eyes of the umpire.

Had I shot this with my D3s, this second image would be about 2MP or less. Relegating me to 4x5 prints at most to maintain the level of quality I like. But this crop from the D800 is over 2100 pixels on the long size. Allowing me the latitude of printing an 8x10 or larger. From a photo taken across the street. Cropping to about 10% of the frame.

And it is PRECISELY for this reason...the ability to make lemonade out of lemons, that the D800 will be earning me money nearly every time I go shoot with it.

Click on image to view larger version

Oh and for the record, this was shot hand-held and my 300/2.8 does not have VR,

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why the D800 will make me money...

G