Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Is FX what I'm looking for?

vangophotos

Paradise Valley, US
370 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
vangophotos Silver Member Nikonian since 01st May 2012
Wed 06-Mar-13 07:00 PM | edited Wed 06-Mar-13 07:03 PM by vangophotos

I've been a DX shooter this far. Currently I'm using a D7000.

My main interests in photography are wildlife (the bigger animals, not really small birds) and nature in general.
To make some extra money and pay for the gear, I shoot the occasional event/wedding and (family) portrait session.

I have some DX lenses (Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 and Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8) and some FX lenses (Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VRI, Nikkor 300mm f/4).

I have a decent tripod that can handle the weight (Gitzo, Markins Q20).

I hardly ever record video.

So far, I've been very pleased with the D7000.
My biggest issue I'm experiencing now is that during events, light is scarce. Even when using the tripod and leaving the ISO at 200, when viewing an image at 100%, there is (I think) a substantial amount of noise visible.

Is this normal, even at ISO 200? Is FX a problem solver for this issue?
I'm tempted to go full frame, at least for the body, to a D800. I figure I can continue to use my DX lenses in crop mode, until I get the funds to replace them with FX lenses.
Are the improved FX low light capabilities preserved when using an FX body in DX crop mode?
Should I start smaller and forego the D800 and get a used D700? (for the FX benefits, but does it have the crop mode?)
Should I stick with DX and see how the D7100 fares in testing?

Any (other) advice?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Is FX what I'm looking for?

G