Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Remote shutter release focus observations

pencho

Roswell, US
31 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pencho Registered since 19th Jun 2012
Tue 05-Mar-13 06:21 PM

On my D800 I had focus setting set up via af-on button. I typically use AF-C in single point focus with af-on button for focus and shutter halfway or ae-L button for setting exposure. To focus on stationary I frame and tap af-on to focus and for moving objects I just hold down af-on button to capture shot. I learned this method on this forum when I had my D7000 and it works well for me.

I have a Vello Freewave Wireless Remote Shutter Release and a Nikon ML-L3 remote control. I could not get either one to focus for self-portraits. I found that if I set focus mode to use af-on OR shutter via the custom menu, the Freewave will then focus. If it’s only set to focus with af-on button, the Freewave will not focus. I read somewhere that the ML-L3 will not engage focus when in AF-C mode. You have to be in AF-S for focusing to work. So I switched to AF-S when I used the ML-L3.

For now I am using the Vello and set my focus to af-on OR shutter button via the custom menu. I don’t think the D7000 had the option to use both, you had to choose shutter or set the AE-L button to AF-ON. So I think having the option to use either on the D800 is a good thing.

If I am missing something or there are better options for focusing with a remote shutter release please let me know. Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G