Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

MB-D12 grip while mounting camera on tripod.

JimH

Easton, US
289 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JimH Silver Member Charter Member
Sun 03-Mar-13 02:58 AM

Well... after reading counltess reviews and post's on the D800, just minutes ago I sprang for a new D800e and the MD-12 grip from B&H. I'm sure I'll be using my tripod alot more with this camera than I do with my D3s. My tripod is set up with a RRS BH-55 ball head and I use an L-plate on the D3s. I've been reading over the D800 post's and I've seen it mentioned that the camrea body isn't quite as stable with the MD-12 grip attached when the camera is mounted on a tripod. So would I be better off ordering an L-plate that is designed for use with out the grip. In other words, I would be using the grip while shooting with the camera hand held, then when I use the tripod, take the grip off an put the L-plate directly on the camrea body then mount the L-plate to the ball head. I think there would be less stress on the grip then as well, from what I've gathered the grip isn't that substantial of a peice to begin with. Kind of a bummer for the price Nikon gets for the thing. So from those of you who use the MD-12 grip, what are your thoughts?

Thanks Jim H.

"Things are'nt always quite as cherry, as they first seem"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: MB-D12 grip while mounting camera on tripod.

G