Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Focus lock beep deactivates in AF-S Release priority mode

K64drb

Blacksburg, US
324 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
K64drb Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2012
Thu 28-Feb-13 05:31 PM

OK, first let me preemptively state - I do not like beeps, bells, whistles, or any other cheap consumer-attracting sound effects on anything. I also don't like attracting attention when I am shooting my D800. Having read Darrell Young's and Thom Hogan's D800 books, I can assure you neither of them use this function, and Thom finds the decision by Nikon to even add this to the D800 at least questionable. Both point out that happily the default setting is OFF. So I understand this must not be a very popular function.

Having established that, I personally find that there are times when having an "audible confirmation signal" (aka Beep) when the camera has achieved focus lock to be very helpful. It's one less thing I need to assess visually in the view finder, so I use it.

However, I just discovered that this function is deactivated if I change the a2 AF-S priority selection from Focus to Release mode. Everything else works like it should, including the appearance of the green circle in the viewfinder, but the beep no longer sounds with it. It only works in Focus priority mode. I tested it in Live View and the same thing happens. I also checked and the beep does continue to operate for other things, like counting down the self-timer.

I checked both Darrell and Thom's books, and the owner's manual, and clearly it is only an AF-S function, but no one makes any distinction between Focus and Release priority settings for it. It doesn't make sense to me that it would not work equally for both. If fact, it's more important in Release priority since you're more at risk of taking an out of focus image.

Is this just a glitch in my D800, or is it programmed like this in everyone's? If it is this way in all of them, am I missing the logic of why it should only operate in Focus priority and not both? If so, what is the reason? Or, do you agree that this is probably a problem that should be picked up in a firmware update?

Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave Badger
Blacksburg, VA
My Nikonians gallery, or visit www.AlternateViewsPhotography.com .

"You don't quit playing because you grow old; you grow old because you quit playing."

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Focus lock beep deactivates in AF-S Release priorit...

G