I am using the 24-70mm f2.8. When I crop the image to exclude the band the resultant image is 36.3 MP so no loss of image are. At the moment I can only open RAW files in Picassa as Lightroom 3 doesn't seem to have caught up yet. Thank you for your help.
>I am using the 24-70mm f2.8. >When I crop the image to exclude the band the resultant image >is 36.3 MP so no loss of image are. >At the moment I can only open RAW files in Picassa as >Lightroom 3 doesn't seem to have caught up yet.
LR4 is compatible, but has some issues in converting catalogs, LR 4.1 RC is out which I find better in performance as well.
I would suggest trying some other editor, either LR 4.1 RC (which is available for trial and doesn't require getting rid of 3.x), or just try ViewNX which is free, and see if the lines are there.
I have not seen anything on mine and I have shot a few hundred images while testing out my lenses and settings. I did notice that I had to set EV to -1 for my 70-200VR but I had the same issue with my D90 so I think that's the lens.
Dan (Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40) "I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol
If not the lens, your memory card could be corrupt. Try formatting it in your computer and then again in the camera. You may also have gotten something on the sensor like a thread. If you use a blower, let it be the ball type. Canned air is to strong.
I don't own a D800 yet and I will be interested to know. Maybe you could try shooting some jpeg files and see if the lines turn up? If it doesn't then I am suspecting it could be the software issue too.
The sensor on Nikon's DSLRs always have a few extra columns of pixels at the left and right edge, and extra rows at the top and bottom. These extra pixels are not normally used for the image, so they won't show up in JPEGs coming out of the camera. They are included in NEF files, though, and there have been a few utilities to extract them. One use of these extra pixels is to provide proper demosaicing of the border pixels. With a Bayer pattern sensor, to arrive at the approximately correct color of any given pixel, the algoritm considers adjacent pixels in each direction and does some interpolation. Alas, when doing this for a border pixel, there would normally only be 3 adjacent pixels (or only 2 for the corner pixels). The extra pixels ensure that proper interpolation can be done even for the borders and corners.
Now, normally nobody will come across these extra pixels. I don't see them in D800 NEF files that I convert with LR4. But perhaps some older raw converters have not been properly updated for the D800 file format or may have some bug. So I suspect this may be the case here. As the extra pixels don't show in the JPEG, the camera is likely ok.