Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic!

Abedirov

Moscow, RU
22 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Abedirov Registered since 28th Jun 2011
Tue 25-Dec-12 07:44 PM

Hi All,

Just got brand new D800 with 85 f1.8 and 24-120 f4. Moving from D7000. I spent 1 hour in the store playing with D600 and D800 and in the end chose the 800. Please, do not ask me why, the choice was more emotional, rather than rational.

Anyway, I mounted my 85 and took several pictures of my 14 months old son who was mostly running around just to test my new toy. Immediately noted that most of them were not sharp. Checked the files on my PC, most of them even did not have the focus point!

My settings were AF-C with 3D tracking, then I switched to Dynamic, 21 points, the custom setting for AF-C is focus and release. Most pictures were taken at 1/125s f/2.8 or f/4.

What am I doing wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aziz

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic!
Reply | Quote | Alert
  • Clint S

Chula Vista, US
    460 posts

#7. "RE: HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic!" | In response to Reply # 0

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
    Wed 26-Dec-12 04:20 AM

"I used 3D on D7000... I try to focus on the eyes."

I have not found that to work on either the D7000 or D800, the camera chooses the initial and final focusing points. AFS or AFC Single point has worked well for me when focusing on the eyes. Next choice would be AFC 9 points.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

• ericbowles

Atlanta, US
    10548 posts

#13. "RE: HELP: First day with D800 and already in panic!" | In response to Reply # 0

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
    Thu 27-Dec-12 10:52 AM

Congratulations on the new camera.

Your comment about DOF possibly being an issue is important. Moving from DX to FX, you are losing about 1 1/2 stops of DOF. That's good if you want a soft background, but bad if your depth of field goes from 8 inches to 4 inches.

The D800 will reveal any softness in your choice of camera settings. The D7000 had a bit of this issue as well - thus the early complaints about softness. A 10-12 megapixel camera may not outresolve your lens, but a 36 megapixel camera is much more likely to show a clear difference based on aperture selection, lens quality, and use of teleconverters.

Don't get into the trap of automatically viewing images at 100%. It's okay, but when you look at just 1000 pixels of a 7200 pixel width, and blow it up to a 15 inch wide display - you are looking at the equivalent of a 7 foot wide image from just 18 inches. Viewing at 100% is okay - but slightly soft images can look just fine sized for normal use.

Eric Bowles
    Nikonians Team
    My Gallery
    Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

• G