Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Flash Exposure Differences

bobcowin

New York, US
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bobcowin Registered since 05th Jan 2008
Thu 13-Dec-12 05:06 PM

I am using the D800 with a SB-910 flash. I've been taking photos at a couple of evening parties recently, so I set the camera to manual and set adjustments to get a little ambient light (ISO 640, 100th, f4.5 or there abouts). The flash is set to TTL and has the supplied dome as well as the tougsten "gel".

If I have the flash at 90 degrees (pointing stratght ahead) the subjects in the images tent to be underexposted by just over 1/2 a stop. If I turn the flash head up to 70 degrees or so, it does a much better job of exposing.

I am thinking that when it's straight ahead, maybe the camera simply uses the distance info from the lens to calculate how much flash to use, and when its's up, it depends more on the TTL readings?

I'm probably not doing anything right, but can anyone explain why I'd be getting such different results?

Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Flash Exposure Differences