Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Change in Shooting Pattern with D800

DigitalDarrell

Knoxville, US
5987 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DigitalDarrell Team Member Founding Member of the Nikonians writer Guild. Author of most of the NikoniansPress books. Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Charter Member
Sun 08-Apr-12 02:47 PM | edited Sun 08-Apr-12 02:55 PM by DigitalDarrell

In the past I have shot almost exclusively in NEF (RAW) format with my Nikons. However, due to the large file size from the D800, I find that for general, everyday shooting I am now using JPEG fine, with Optimal quality JPEG compression.

Most of my JPEGs are from 8–13 MB with a few complex ones going as high as 24 MB. The D800 seems to shoot a little hotter than previous Nikons, with the histogram often touching the edge of the light side or even mildly clipping. I like that a lot for shooting in RAW since the histogram is based on an in-camera JPEG, and the RAW file has more highlight headroom. I have not found the mild highlight clipping to have a bad effect on the JPEG images.

I am well pleased with the exposures in this camera and have experienced not even a single underexposure or major overexposure. JPEGs are now a satisfying part of my daily "fun" shooting. RAW will still be my mainstay for my best work.

The D800 has made photography more fun for me. I can't explain exactly why, except for the feeling I have of using a medium-format level 35mm camera. The images are marvelous!

What has your experience been?

==============================================
Darrell Young (DigitalDarrell) www.pictureandpen.com
"Better too many words than not enough understanding."
==============================================

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Change in Shooting Pattern with D800