Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Mike Hagen Mastering the FX Camera Webinar

lizmcf

Manorville, US
28 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lizmcf Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2006
Tue 27-Nov-12 02:04 PM

I attended this 8 hour webinar over 4 days. It covered the D800, D4, D3(s/x), D700 and D600. My focus was the D800.

I highly recommend this seminar. As much as I have read, there is nothing like having an instructor there so you can ask questions. I learned a lot about the D800 camera from Mike. He is a great instructor, very open to all questions and very knowledgable.

Some of the things he taught I am implementing in my photography, like:
Using the back focus button insead of the shutter half way down (I am still struggling to make this automatic but I really like it).
Exposing to the right. If you reference the histogram and separate it into 4 quadrants vertically, the sensor stores more of the data in the rightmost quardrant than in the other quadrants. So if the histogram has too much white space on the right you are losing data. So increasing the exposure will get you more data.

He covered Shooting modes, autofocus, white balance, ISO, bracketing, metering, AE-L, image quality, menus and bank settings.

He gave out PDFs of the slides he presented for download and also had a video camera he could switch to to show the buttons or menu setting he was talking about on the various cameras.

Very worth while course.

Liz

G