Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Zeiss: The Solution to D800 Focus Issues?

pastordcraig

Fort Yukon, US
37 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
pastordcraig Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2011
Fri 06-Apr-12 05:16 PM

Greetings Friends,

I've been reading absolutely everything that I can find about the D800/800E. I've read "informed" opinions of those who say that there is no need to fear the resolution of the 800, or the lack of an AA filter on the 800E . . . "Go for it!" they say, "You'll be fine!" I've read other "informed" opinions of those who say, "If you're not the most recent incarnation of Ansel Adams, give up and die like the dog you are! Stick to your Polaroid One Shot!"

Obviously, I'm going to have to decide for myself . . . well, I've actually decided to allow fate to decide for me. I've ordered both versions of the 800 from Amazon, and I'll keep whichever one ships first. In case you're wondering, none of the preceding remarks have anything to do with my questions; they were made simply for your edification and amusement.

This is why I'm here. During my research (which includes downloading AND PRINTING all 472 pages of the D800 user's manual . . . and then reading it . . . no kidding)-- as I was saying, during my exhaustive (exhausting?) research, I found one reviewer who thought that the auto focus was a little "squirrelly" (my word, not the reviewer's). He said that the camera seemed to jump back and forth before finally settling down (I'm assuming he was using continuous AF, but I'm not positive). Anyway, he speculated that the focusing mechanism of the lens might simply be too coarse to achieve perfect focus every time. If I understood correctly, he was saying that even the smallest increments of movement were too much, so the camera was focusing too close, then too far, too close . . . you get the idea.

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS (finally). 1) Does what that guy said make any sense to anyone? Is that a real possibility? 2) If that's the case, might it sometimes be beneficial to go with a manual focus prime (i.e. Zeiss)? 3) Have any of you tried a manual focus lens on your brand spanking new, shiny, fancy schmancy D800s, and what kinds of results did you get? (If you noticed a little envy peeking through in that last sentence, I apologize, but not especially sincerely)

I have a decent collection of lenses, and of course I will give them a good workout before I buy anything new. Also, I certainly wouldn't want to give up auto focus in every situation, but I shoot a lot of portraits, and I'm thinking that for that application, it might be worth sacrificing a little speed and convenience for precision.

I realize that with the D800 being so recently introduced, few folks have much experience with them, so truly "informed" opinions might be a little scarce. Still, I'm truly interested in your what you think, even if your thoughts are a bit speculative.

Thanks a bunch,
David Craig
Fort Yukon, Alaska

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Zeiss: The Solution to D800 Focus Issues?

G