Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

SOLVED: Pixelflash USB 3.0 CF Reader

djmckaytx

Argyle, TX, US
68 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
djmckaytx Gold Member Nikonian since 20th Feb 2012
Sat 10-Nov-12 11:56 PM | edited Sun 11-Nov-12 03:09 AM by djmckaytx

Really glad I'm careful about copying files and checking things out before I re-format cards now...

I've had my D800 for 4-5 days now. Upgraded from a D7000. Love it. Up until yesterday evening, I had been shooting files onto a fast SD card. No problems transferring my files from the SD card to computer. No problems viewing any output files in ViewNX2 or CaptureNX2. I picked up a name brand CF card yesterday along with a Pixelflash USB 3.0 reader. I reset the camera to recognize the CF card as my main card for NEF and started saving small JPEG files to the SD. Previewing the files I shot as a test worked out fine on the D800 LCD.

I took my family to the park today to shoot pictures with a Nikon 50mm f/1.4G. Other than some WB issues (my bad) the camera performed fine. The NEF and JPEG LCD preview pictures looked good (sometimes beyond what I had hoped for).

I brought the camera home this evening intending to look at and correct the WB issues in CaptureNX2. Transferred the files to my PC (lots of space and processing power, that's not the issue). When I loaded the JPEG files into ViewNX2 or CaptureNX2 they turned out as expected. However, when I loaded the NEF files almost everyone of them looked corrupted in all kinds of different ways, primarily color-related. For example, the bottom 2/3rds would be tinted green (like the Matrix) and the rest would be very yellow.

Normally, I would think this would have to do with the CF card corrupting the NEF files but both the NEF and JPEG previews on the D800 displayed just fine. The only other things I can think of would be:

(1) ViewNX2 and/or CaptureNX2 not up to date, but I checked that and they both say they're the latest version,
(2) The CF card reader being corrupted. I have updated the drivers from the Pixelflash website to no avail. Does anyone know if this reader has had issues?

Firmware:
A 1.00
B 1.01
L 1.004

THANKS for the help!

CONCLUSION:
My issue was with the Pixelflash 3.0 USB reader. Even though this 3.0 reader is supposed to be 2.0 backwards capable, apparently it's not. A firmware update is required to use it with the latest LEXAR UDMA 7 CF cards.

To get the firmware update, you will need to visit the pixelflash website and find their FAQ page at: (http://pixelflashmemory.com/faq.html). Scroll all the way to the bottom to find the firmware update and download it. Unpack the files. Insert your reader. Run the firmware update application. In about 30 seconds, your problem will be solved.

----------------------------------------

Lucky is only better than good until your shutter is released.

Primary Equipment:
2 D810s, MB-D12
SB-910
SB-600
14-24mm f/2.8G
24-70mm f/2.8G
28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
50mm f/1.4G
70-200mm f/2.8G VRII
300mm f/2.8G VRII
400mm f/2.8D (AF-I) (selling this soon)
TC-14E III