Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Third Party Wireless Shutter Release and Flash Trigger -TESTED

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Mon 09-Apr-12 04:50 PM | edited Mon 09-Apr-12 09:03 PM by walk43

In another thread on this topic, I mentioned that I had decided on trying the Phottix Strata II Multi 5 in 1 Trigger Set on my D800. I use remote triggers alot when I position my camera closer to trees and bushes and stand remotely so as not to scare the subjects (birds etc.)Well, I received the Strata this morning, set it up and tested it.

Bottom Line: It works great as advertised!!

1. As a wired shutter release connected via 10 pin connector it works.

2. As a wireless shutter release connected to the 10 pic connector with the receiver hanging from my tripod ..it works.

3. As a wireless shutter release connected to the 10 pin connector with the receiver mounted to the D800 flash shoe ..it works.

4. As a wireless shutter release connected to the 10 pin connector hanging from the tripod and a SB-600 on the D800 hot shoe in single flash mode.. iTTL works.

5. As a wireless shutter release connected to the 10 pin connector and the receiver mounted to the D800 hot shoe, and a SB-600 on the Strata hot shoe in single flash mode.. iTTL works.

6. As a wireless shutter release connected to the 10 pin connector and the receiver mounted to the D800 hot shoe, and a SB-600 on the Strata receiver hot shoe in CMDR mode, triggering remote flashes with iTTL, .. it works

I did not test the Strata's independent flash triggering capability to other slaves since I didn't take the time to test something I do not see using. The unit works as a wireless shutter release in all the modes I tested and use regularly. When I want to trigger wireless flash units I let the D800 and SB-600 handle that in CMDR mode. But I think the Strata is supposed to do that...not sure.

Now a few points:

It is very well built and packaged and feels good and solid in the hands. The units have nice thumb wheels to tighten the receiver (and transmitters when slaves are used on remote stands). The directions are very sparce but correct. It took me about 15 minutes to figure it all out and be certain about everything. If you read a few reviews on the product you can find out all you need to know from the pro evaluators...but from a user...I like the unit and it works.

Only 1 small negative. Initially I could not plug the 10 pin connector into the D800. Not wanting to mess up the D800 connector jack, I did not try to force anything but I could not get the screw lock on the cable plug to screw down on the D800 port and tighten to the D800. After getting a flashlight and lookng closely at the D800 connector port and the 10 pin plug on the Phottix cable, I found the one of the pins in the cable plug was bent toward the middle and therefore the plug was not seating in the D800 solidly. After I used a jewelers screwdriver to straighten all the pins, the 10 pin cable plug 'snapped' into the D800 just fine and tightened down nicely...although tough for big fingers to turn.

Yes...I recommend this unit to anyone wanting what appears to be a solid product that works. Cost is $100 from the NYC retailers.

Also...it works around corners and at great distances. I triggered the D800 on a tripod inside my house while I stood outside the house about 40 ft away.

Questions welcome.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G