Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 and photo trek leaders

ljordan316

Inverness, US
830 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ljordan316 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2010
Fri 02-Nov-12 11:35 AM

If you like to go on photo treks/workshops like I do, the first question you should ask is whether the trip leader owns or knows the D800. I am finding that many photo trek leaders shoot Canon and can barely spell Nikon. If you are totally proficient with your D800 such a trek leader will not be an issue. If you still have a lot to learn with your D800, you will not learn it from a trek leader who only knows Canon.

I recently evaluated two treks and selected one run by David Hemmings for birds in flight. Neither of the trek leaders I evaluated were Nikon shooters, but David committed to understanding the D800 by the time I got to the trek...and he did. The other trek leader said he "considered the D800 a great camera." That was not enough for me.

When I got to Fort Myers to shoot with David this past Sunday, I found that he had indeed studied the D800. He could transfer all but one of his favorite Canon settings to my D800e bodies. Together we figured out AF Dynamic Area focus points by reading the manuals and experimenting in the field. In the end, we both learned some valuable lessons...and I got some great shots.

Having the right camera settings is not all there is to shooting birds in flight...just as having the right settings is not all there is to shooting landscape HDR sets. However, not having the right camera settings will definitely result in fewer great shots. I am finding that having the right settings for the D800 is far more critical than it was for the D300 bodies that I had before.

Now that I know I have the best D800 settings for BIF, I will feel comfortable going on any BIF trek. However, I will still lean towards David's treks because I learned the right settings by working with him...and he is a great guy with really good BIF skills and knowledge.

Are any of you going on treks or workshops and finding the leaders do not know the D800?

Larry Jordan

D800E, D500, 14-24, 16-35, 24-70, 70-180 Micro, 80-400mm AF-S, 500mm AF-S II

http://larryjordan.smugmug.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 and photo trek leaders