Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Micro Adjusting D800 + 105mm Micro with FoCal

sbpatel75

Chicago, US
55 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
sbpatel75 Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Aug 2007
Wed 24-Oct-12 09:59 AM | edited Wed 24-Oct-12 10:09 AM by sbpatel75

Has anyone used FoCal to determine the micro-adjustment value for their D800 / 105 Micro F2.8 combo? I've run the test at least 4 times (with VR off and view finder closed) and software is stumped. I looked at the data points plotted on the graphs, and I can't blame it for being stumped. The 3 data points for each microadjustment level are all over the board with no discernible pattern. Some of the data points made no sense, at one point for one level the camera generated a test shot which had the highest quality value and a second test shoot with the worst quality value, a graph that had at least 75+ data points plotted. Has anyone had success in calibrating their 105mm with their D800?

I am thinking that the problem lies in the lens and not the D800. Here are the results I got from 3 runs where I tested out each of D800's focus points. The first set of results with my 50mm D nearly gave me a heart attack. I was so much happier with the second run where I used more light to boost the EV. In software's manual I read that the results are also affected by the quality of the lens, and, thus, I switched to the 105mm. It seems to me that quality glass made a difference in the third test run.

So back to the calibration issue...If I am reading these charts correctly, my D800's does not have any major focusing issues...except for a problematic focus point(s) in the upper left side that appeared in all thee runs. I can easily live with that. If it isn't the camera, is it correct to assume there may be something off with the AF on the 105mm? Or is the lens a hard one to calibrate? I ran a AF consistency test and the lens came back as 93% consistent. I am not sure how to interrupt this number. Good? Bad?

BTW, the calibration made a HUGE difference with the 50mmD. I noticed the improvement in the viewfinder instantly. A big THANK YOU to everyone who introduced the software to me and the forum.

50mm f/1.8D with f/1.8,1/60s, & EV: 7.5 -- First Round

Click on image to view larger version

50mm f/1.8D with f/1.8, 1/100s, & EV: 8.3 -- Second Round

105 mm f/2.8 with f/3.0, 1/25s, & EV: 7.7

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)

sbp
www.flickr.com/photos/sbpatel75

I tend to clumsily march to the beat of my own off-rhythm drum.

My mom wishes I spent my money on girlie things like dresses, shoes, jewelry, and purses. I'd rather focus on glass.

G