Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Complete D800 Malfunction

stentdoc

Evansville, US
16 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
stentdoc Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Registered since 21st Sep 2006
Tue 23-Oct-12 03:35 AM

I am curious if anyone else has seen this. My D800 is headed tonight to Melville.

Last week, I had the opportunity to take the Nikonians D800 workshop in Houston and had a great learning experience. In the class, I took about 50 shots with the camera during the day long class. One of the teaching topics was the use of "Live View" and while hand holding the camera, my D800 became warm to the touch, but continued to function.

The following day, we were in Austin, see the sights and using the camera. I took only one picture and then the camera locked up - current firmware was installed. This is what I experienced:

1) With the accessory battery grip installed, the camera would power on, but would not respond: no playback, no menu function, no shutter release.
2) The camera's autofocus was constantly active - as if I was tracking something and the lens was constantly adjusting focus.
3) With the accessory grip removed, and a battery in the camera, the camera would power up and appear usable - playback returns, and menu functions screens return. However, the camera would not power off. It constantly was flashing its green "Write/electrical connection" status light. This occurred even when powered off. The LCD screen on top of the camera would also flash, as if it were updating continuously.
No combinations of resets, or memory cards would work.

I did not even waste my time with Nikon over the phone. I sent it back today after taking about 50 shots.
I am wondering if the warm body using Live view had an effect on the camera.

Just curious to hear from others.

Don

G