Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

managing 800E files (extended shoot coming up ...)

lifewings

Santa Fe, US
87 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lifewings Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2008
Fri 19-Oct-12 05:59 PM

I love my 800E, but am a bit unsure of best way to handle the large files, especially when on an extended photo shoot.

I'm planning to go down to the Bosque del Apache for 10 days in November. I usually shoot ALOT down there, previously with a combination of the D300 and the D7000. I typically load these on to 2 portable drives when down there, deleting the obvious deletables as I go ... and do final cull/edit/processing once I return home. I rarely have the time to go through with a finer tooth comb when I am there, as my typical schedule is up by 4:30 or 5, to bed by 8:30 or 9 (and not even back from shooting til after dark).

This has worked in previous years, but I am anxious to use my D800E while down there, in effect tripling my file size with each shot.

I am curious how others manage this situation.

An associated question is if I crop into the frame (to effectively get "closer" to a bird) is it best to do the crop in PS and delete the extra pixels? I use LR4 and PS at home; Photo Mechanic and PS while away. At home it is easier to archive the original Nef file on an external hard drive in case I ever want to redo the crop, but can't really do that while away for a 10 day shoot ...

Thanks for any feedback and advice.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: managing 800E files (extended shoot coming up ...)

G