Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800E: Critical Focusing - Need advice

msoomro

Sammamish, US
37 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
msoomro Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jul 2009
Thu 18-Oct-12 07:40 PM

Hi there,

With 36 MP in the box, the technique now plays even bigger role in getting the best out of lens / camera.

I have couple of questions hoping to get real world/ experiential advice and any info online that helps

1. What’s focusing techniques are getting you best results.

a.I follow the obvious - use Live View, sturdy tripod (RRS 24L), sometimes weighting it down further, CUBE head, 3 sec Exposure Delay OR Mirror LU and remote trigger. I am still not getting the sharpness and great focus. I use 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 VRII, and 16-35.

b.I have fine-tuned the lenses but normally use Live View. Any best practices here, that work better. Personally I find it very challenging to get good focus in LV how Nikon has implemented and need trial and error. Do you zoom in fully or just few stops.
(My D700 and D3x shots seem better in focus)

2. Lenses:
I used lens align and am confident they are now tuned nicely. While I use LV more for critical focus, how do I ensure my lenses are tack sharp in the first place (irrespective of camera body)?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800E: Critical Focusing - Need advice

G