Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

DX lens on a D800 - I am confused

Bulgakov

Winter Springs, US
97 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Bulgakov Registered since 31st Oct 2006
Fri 12-Oct-12 06:29 PM

This wasn't even a topic that I thought I was confused about until I took a couple of photos today.

With my D800 set on Auto FX Crop, I took a picture. When I looked through the viewfinder, I could see the total area, and then I could see the smaller area inside that I assumed was the DX area. The cropped area was grayed out a bit. The RAW file size was about 19M.

I then turned off Auto DX Crop and took a photo with my 24-70 2.8 at 24mm. I switched lenses to the 12-24 DX and took another photo at 24mm. There was no crop area (as I expected) but the area covered in the photos was virtually identical. Additionally, both file sizes were about 40M.

I'm now confused. I guess I expected the DX lens to either produce a smaller size file or an image with a narrower field of view by 1.5X.

What makes a DX lens a DX lens and what effect does Auto DX crop have?If my file size and angle of view is identical from a dx to an fx lens it seems hard for me to justify selling the DX f4 to get the f2.8 FX, at least right now. I can continue to use my DX lenses on my FX and slowly upgrade.

Additionally, for example, if I were to place a 300mm lens (DX or FX) ON THE D800 and put it into DX mode, would I get the same photo as I would with a DX camera and a 300mm lens?

Sorry for the rambling question. If anyone can help me out of my confusion I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DX lens on a D800 - I am confused