Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

There really is no significant backorder

TheRedMenace

US
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
TheRedMenace Registered since 19th Apr 2012
Thu 19-Apr-12 07:45 AM

I've tried several times to explain to Nikon the error in their logic but no one seems to care. Here's what happened - a large number of the first units to ship went to the same 5 people. Those 5 people then began price gouging the (falsely) limited supply on dBay. Once the precedent was set that you could make 1-2K per unit everybody and his brother went out and ordered 'a few extra' thinking they'd make enough money selling a couple to pay for theirs. Unfortunately what is going to happen is a combination of a few things; the same 5 guys who bought up the first batch have bought up the next round as well and will continue to play eBay keep away, the third shipment will go to jerks who think they're smart and ordered several extras with the intention of making a few bucks and/or (what I did) hedge your bet and pre-order from 6 different places. I only need one and after the first one ships I'm canceling the other 5 orders - but on paper right now there are six cameras 'sold' when it's really only one. In the end, Nikon is going to realize what they should have done was had a one per customer policy until the pre-orders were filled (this would have stopped the scalping and the excessive pre-ordering) and/or they should have sold the first few batches themselves (or through their dealers) on eBay. I don't mind paying a premium for it if that's what the market demands but under no circumstances am I going to reward the scummy behavior of creating a false shortage to jack the price.

So to sum up - there were enough cameras in the first round to cover the demand but the middleman scum have created a false shortage. The morons who rewarded the behavior are responsible for those same dbags pre-ordering all of the second batch to resell as well. DP's like me who just need one to actually use are forced to place many orders to get one camera exacerbating the problem. At the end of the day, Nikon is going to massively overproduce the D800 to meet demand for a market that doesn't really exist. In three months they're going to end up with a bunch of expensive product languishing on shelves when the self-imposed dealers return the cameras they couldn't sell at a profit - and after guys like me cancel the extra orders we never should have had to place to begin with.

Nikon's sales/marketing team is truly perplexing. The level to which they've mismanaged who got the first cameras is also unbelievable. For instance - why is there some wedding photographer in Nebraska with 3 D800's who is basically a glorified hobbyist and scalper selling them for 5K each on craigslist (I'm talking to you Brad) when there are several DP's in LA/NY who shoot broadcast television, features and music videos all going into production this month who will be forced to shoot on the 5D (read; me) because B&H sold 25 D800's to one person? It takes time and a touch of pioneering before an industry will accept a new camera. You get your product in the hands of the guy/girl who's gonna shoot a feature or an episode of House with it and make it an industry staple - not have it languishing on eBay so some fat ass in Kansas can make his rent holding your product hostage.

No I do not have a problem with capitalism and no I do not think I'm better than anyone else - but I DO think that a company like Nikon should be looking out for their best interests rather than let bottom feeders destroy their bottom line by modifying reality for money.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: There really is no significant backorder