Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How accurate is focus and recompose?

wooster

UK
120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011
Sun 30-Sep-12 12:41 AM

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum for this question but if not maybe a mod will move it?

With all the discussion re the D800 left AF point issue, a number of people have dismissed it as being not very important because they tend to use the centre AF point(s)only.

I take portraits and I like shallow DOF with the eye sharp and the rest going blurred. I've never used the "focus and recompose" technique because I always thought it to be inaccurate.

Now some argue that the difference between focussing a centre AF point on the left eye and then swivelling the camera a bit to the right is neither here nor there, and I realise it will depend on your aperture and just how far you angle the camera away from the original point but I'd still say that in 99% of cases, if your shooting a close up at f1.4 any difference is crucial. I am right am I not?

Sorry if this is a bit daft but it's nearly 2am here in the UK and I'm way past my bedtime

Which of us is right?

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How accurate is focus and recompose?

G