Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
IndyGeoff

Greenwood, US
165 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
IndyGeoff Registered since 03rd Jul 2007
Mon 24-Sep-12 07:57 PM | edited Tue 25-Sep-12 07:43 PM by ericbowles

wellllllllllll, I thought I had a winner but it looks like strike #3 on the D800E

Here is a link to a test I just ran. I thought I was OK and stopped test shooting right after I got it, but noticed in some of my sports shots a problem, so tested again.

I taped newspaper to my garage door - set my lens to F3 - ISO 100 - Shutter was 1/4000th - shutter lockup used on a tripod (though at 1/4000th and f50 I dont think it mattered)- I took 3 shots at each of teh 3 focus points - reracking focus between shots and kept the best looking of the three.

The left and right focus points are (in my opinion) terrible. left seems worse

I think I may be done with the D800 line of camera for the rest of the year and possibly forever. Strike 3 usually means you are out.

I would be happy to hear what I did wrong and how that wrongness made the images look so bad. PLEASE tell me I messed up as I would rather keep the camera because the photos are spectacular compared to my D90. ;- )

The file sizes are large due to side by side comparisons of the 3 points. Goto original size to make a judgement on my complaint please.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36026557@N05/sets/72157631614417650/

I am so very disappointed.

edit to add SN 3005xxx

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 AF Accuracy - Phase Detect vs. Contrast Detect
Reply message RE: D800E AF Accuracy