Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Moire Question/Example for D800

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Fri 14-Sep-12 11:20 AM | edited Fri 14-Sep-12 11:24 AM by walk43

I have shot about 8000 images with my D800 and never an issue with moire..until this test shot. I was testing out some settings and shooting a lampshade with a flash and without a flash. The shade is very tightly patterned and sure enough I saw moire in my preview screen.

I downloaded the pics in PS and was reviewing them on my PC and noticed that the moire appears is some 'magnifications' and not in others. But if I look at the pic... at say 25% vs 33% vs 50% vs 100% in PS, there is different moire patterns. And at 100% the actual pattern of the material with no moire.

So my question is.... is moire a factor of the magnification of the 'viewer'?? I thought moire would be in each magnification view and that the moire pattern was actually captured in the pic data stored to the CF card not just as 'viewed.

So am I correct that if you have moire in an image it may be able to eliminate it by saving the image at a different crop magnification??

I could go on but I think you know where I am coming from.

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G