Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Has anyone solved their LR4 / Nikon D800 RAW NEF issues?

RogersGlobal

US
2 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
RogersGlobal Registered since 11th Sep 2012
Tue 11-Sep-12 03:35 PM

I've done a lot of reading on this topic and think I have a handle on how easily the new D800 NEF files can be corrupted by the older versions of Nikon Transfer.
When I began using the camera I accidently made the mistake of corrupting them and haven't had any issues since... until yesterday.

I photographed last night, and imported about 160 RAW NEF files onto my brand new Macbook Pro with Retina for a same day preview for the host. I transfered the images using ViewNX2 & by association it's built-in Nikon Transfer 2 utility. I used the built in SD Card reader on the Macbook which has always worked in the past. But alas!!!!! While they imported fine, LR4 can't import them and gives me the error "Preview Unavailable at this Time". I should note... Nikon Transfer 2 was set to clear the card after the transfer .

Nikon ViewNX2 can see the images and I'd hoped to fix the issue by just converting them to JPEG's but, no bueno. It tells me it can't. This is the precise issue I can into when I accidently used the original version months ago on my iMac. But it's impossible that I have the old version on this unit. It's less than a month old and I'd downloaded the most recent version from Nikon. So I'm running under the assumption that the file is somehow corrupted.

I've seen a lot of people running into issues getting used to the new workflow requied to deal with these enormous RAW's.

Here's the all important question. After the files have an issue... is there anyway to recover them??? I can't retake them, the original shots were wiped from the card. So what do I do? At least Nikon View can see them, so I have to believe that there is some image information there.

Has anyone sucessfully fixed the issue?

Going forward I plan to just import everything directly through LR4, so I think that'll aliviate future heartburn... but what's my "undo" solution?

I know there's a lot that's been written on this topic and really appriciate the support!

-Jared

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Has anyone solved their LR4 / Nikon D800 RAW NEF is...

G