Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Getting Best Histogram without UniWB

wfmcgrath3

Livingston, US
77 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
wfmcgrath3 Registered since 26th Feb 2012
Sun 19-Aug-12 05:26 PM

As we know, the histogram displayed by our D800s or in Lightroom is really that of the rendered JPG even though we are shooting in raw. One complicated way to get an accurate histogram is to use UniWB, a pain IMO. I wanted to see what the effect of identically exposed images would produce in the way of a histogram when the picture control only is varied. So I set up my camera on a tripod, set the exposure mode to manual, used the nominal exposure that the meter recommended (when set in standard, and left that way), and shot a JPG (large, high) image with each of the supplied renderings, as well as one of my own that has low contrast and low saturation. As expected, the histograms varied considerably.

Here is my question: can anyone suggest a picture control setting, packaged or custom, that might be the best approximation to the raw data? (I'm primarily concerned with blowing out the highs, although it might be possible to find a setting that would reasonably accurately render both ends of the histogram.) Is anyone aware of any reason why Nikon could not present a histogram based on the raw data? Is anyone aware of a way to actually look at the raw data so that some kind of calibration of the picture control to the raw data could be attempted?

Thanks for you input.

Creating images the new-fashioned way!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G