Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 Upgrade Feedback Needed

FEvans

Toronto, CA
121 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
FEvans Basic Member
Fri 17-Aug-12 03:05 PM

Good day folks.

It has been a while since I posted here at Nikonians. Life had me really busy. I've been shooting with my D300 ever since its release but only recently have I decided that I can afford an upgrade as my D300 is really beaten up.

Can anyone here help guide me in the right direction? Is the 800 a viable upgrade from the D300 or shall I keep holding my breath for an actual update to the D300 (the oft rumoured D400).

I hear many complaints of focus issues with the D800 and is it simply because of the resolution? I'm quite pleased with 12MP .. I can just imagine the rendering, processing, editing times associated with full resolution images from the D800. I imagine the D800 has the ability to dumb down the jpeg sizes but what about the RAW files? Can these be dumbed down to lower res for those events where full res isn't needed?

Also, do focus issues improve with lower res? Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've asked my local camera shops and those guys aren't really schooled in the actual camera choosing only instead to continually give the typical sales pitches about the resolution....we all know that higher resolution is not the primary selling point of any camera.

Any information you guys can shoot back including your own views, experience, likes, dislikes etc. would be appreciated. Dropping 3k on a body is not something I want to do without being as informed as I can.

Any reply is greatly apprecaited.

Cheers!
Frank

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D800 Upgrade Feedback Needed