Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

I think I've been snookered, Melville didn't fix it.

rplst8

Johnstown, US
150 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rplst8 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2008
Fri 10-Aug-12 01:16 PM | edited Fri 10-Aug-12 01:16 PM by rplst8

So I got my camera back last week and I've been snapping pictures all over the place. As I noted in one of my other posts, I had to fine tune my center focus point to +10 or so to get good results. Even after taking some really impressive exposures, I still noticed some inconsistencies. After reading here, I decided to test the camera with Reikan FoCal.

FoCal tells me that the proper AF fine tune adjustment for the center point on my 50mm f/1.8 is +20. So upon setting that, I took more exposures and compared them. Again, the left was soft. Irritated, I used Focal to tune to the left-most sensor. Focal said it should be -4. Visually, I agree with FoCal give or take a few AF fine tune steps. But in the end, there is a 20 step difference between left and center. The right side nearly agrees with center, but differs by a few steps.

If I set the AF fine tune value somewhere in the middle, I get mostly acceptable results in the real world, and even from boring test targets. In fact, my previous posts were taken that way and fooled me into thinking it was a 100% fix, when in reality I was just softening the center and sharpening the left to make them about the same. I also made a grevious mistake by forgetting to turn off in camera sharpening on the one example which I was using for testing LV focus with manual lenses.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I have a small trip coming up in the middle of September and another big one the first week of October and I would think I would get my camera back by then.

Am I being to picky?

I can take good pictures with it as is (shot at f/4 for the record):

My main concern is when shooting wide open. Sure not much is in focus with such a shallow DoF, but what I put under the target, I *want* in focus.

--
RL

Visit my Nikonians gallery and my Flickr page.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: I think I've been snookered, Melville didn't fix it...

G