Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

To clean or not to clean...help me!

Skyworksjp

JP
21 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Skyworksjp Registered since 08th Jun 2012
Fri 10-Aug-12 03:55 AM

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really stuck with what to do.

I'm hoping you can give me some advice. I was so lucky to get myself a D800 and a new 24-70 F/2.8 lens a couple of months ago. The first thing I did was attach the lens to the camera and it hasn't been removed since. I know that dust can still work it's way inside the camera over time, but I was not expecting this:

Click on image to view larger version

So many spots and they're all concentrated in one area. I've adjusted the image in Lightroom to reveal the full extent of the contamination. I don't know whether it is dust or oil (or both). But what I would like to know is should I bother cleaning it now?

I've had to clean my D7000 a couple of times and it's not something I'm particularly proficient at (it took me several tries, I made it much worse before it got better and I never succeeded in getting it 100% clean).

But with the D800 being so much more expensive, I'm really unsure whether it's worth the risk now. I've read that diffraction starts to reduce image quality around f11 on the D800 so, I've been shooting at f11 and below. At f11 the spots, are pretty hard to see and under most conditions they would be invisible. Plus if it is oil, then aren't the spots are likely to return again until the camera has been "run in" so to speak? Maybe better to wait?

My nearest Nikon Service centre is in Tokyo, which is a 2 hour drive away. For cleaning the only thing I have is Nikon's official cleaning kit (chopsticks, special paper and a cleaning agent) Most of the products discussed on here are not easy to come by in Japan.

any help and advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: To clean or not to clean...help me!

G