Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800 matrix focus problems ???

Clint S

Chula Vista, US
460 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011
Tue 07-Aug-12 03:16 AM | edited Wed 08-Aug-12 05:27 AM by Clint S

What happened?

Click on image to view larger version

There really is no problem. Just a little levity for a breather from all of the technical post about the D800/E. I did have a situation I could not initially resolve.

Several photographers, one with a D3X, another with a D3s, another with D300S and then my D800. It was 11:00 am and we were trying to shoot into the inside of a 24 foot (7.3 meter) long trailer headed west. The trailer is designed as an earthquake simulator; "Quake Hold, The Big Shaker". And the job was to come up with a photo that showed what the Big Shaker was about.

The problem was the sun was shining directly into the rear of the trailer, directly shining on two very light beige bucket seats at the rear of the trailer. Between the back where the seats were and the inside front there was about 10 stops difference in light. The D3 guys gave up! The D300S stuck it out with me. He loaned me his 80-200mm, we tidied up the exposure best possible way. Then we put his memory card in my D800, he took his shots and headed back to his office. I had to go back as there just was not enough exposure latitude to recover the highlights and bring up the shadows from the inside for a decent photo, from the first shots.

My end result was 10 images composited together from a 3 second simulated quake - what you see above. But that image was created after I came back at 1:00 pm when the sun was no longer directly hitting the inside back of the trailer.
I can't say I'm thrilled with the photo, but the people that asked for it are!

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G