Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

NPhoto Magazine - 101 Nikon Tips

walk43

Pennsylvania, US
719 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
walk43 Registered since 07th Feb 2012
Wed 01-Aug-12 09:30 PM | edited Wed 01-Aug-12 09:33 PM by walk43

I am sure that many of you are aware that there is a magazine from the UK titled "NPhoto". I have subscribed to it for about a year now and I personally like it a lot. It is written for Nikon owners and everything in it is Nikon specific. They do reviews of cameras, lenses, tripods etc., etc. All from the prospective of a Nikon user.

This months issue has what they call the "Ultimate DSLR Tips Guide -101 Nikon Secrets". There are 101 Nikon user tips to consider and some of them are actually quite useful for newer users, or for some of us with bad habits that never read the manuals after we get the camera.

Tip number 30 reads:

"No Card Inserted"

"It's annoying when the shutter won't fire because there's no memory card inserted. Find the Slot Empty Release Lock setting and set it to Enable Release."

So here is my question.

Why would anyone want to go out and shoot away with a shutter that releases when the camera has no storage card?? I can't remember my D90 that well anymore...but maybe if a Nikon camera has built in storage capacity that would be beneficial for a few shots but certainly the D800 has no built in storage. You can take a picture without a card but the image is for demo only. Just wondering if I am missing something in the tip or if the tip is for non D800 users. In all the tips they identify what Nikon model the tip relates to... but not in this one.

Note: I forgot my cards one time when I first got the D800 and when out to shoot with the release option turned on. Fifteen minutes later... and no pictures saved ...sent me to the menu and it has been locked ever since.

Any thoughts??

Dan
(Nikon D800,V2,Sony HX400V,Lumix ZS40)
"I don't read, I just look at pictures" - Andy Warhol

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: NPhoto Magazine - 101 Nikon Tips