Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800, 24-70/2.8 and Focal testing

Ferguson

Cape Coral, US
5751 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Ferguson Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for the generous sharing of his high level expertise in the spirit of Nikonians Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004
Sun 29-Jul-12 02:23 PM

I am posting these as separate entries by lens in case they are of interest to people who want to compare, or who want to help me understand the variations.

Let me first say I used the 24-70 on the D800 in real life with a zero AF fine tune and really good luck. I've also used it with a mild negative (I think about -5) with good results, and never had an issue. I have not tested it in real life for the left focus issue.

But as it was one of my more frequently used lenses I wanted to see what Focal would show, and frankly I find it confusing.

In the graphs below, the center is the center focus point, the left and right focus point beside. The top half is at 24mm, the bottom half is at 70mm. The middle two rows are at 3.6m and the very top and bottom at about 30m.

The left focus problem shows strongly.

More confusing however is the difference in the top and bottom, showing that at 24mm and long distance I need a -10, and at 70mm I need a -19. But the good news is that the real appearance of a -19 vs -10 is not terribly significant.

From this I guestimated that a -10 seems the best blend, and the -10 is shown on each entry (well, as close as Focal captured).

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

G