Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Problems with Canon 5D MK III solved with a D800

FFN

Hudson, US
1196 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
FFN Gold Member Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter Member
Tue 24-Jul-12 11:21 AM | edited Tue 24-Jul-12 11:27 AM by FFN

Last month, I went to the local Nikon dealer to buy a D800. Someone purchased the last one in stock just as I entered the store. Having already sold all of my Nikon DX gear in anticipation, I had no lenses either. So I was open to trying the Canon 5D MK III.

The Canon was back to the dealer for a refund in one week along with the lenses, including a few L versions. The problems were many:

1) focus - one lens needed a +20 (the max) micro adjustment to come close to focus correctly, others would not focus at all and were inconsistent. The dealer expert spent about an hour with the camera using various lenses and was not getting any better results.

2) metering - consistent under exposure by at least 1 stop. Sometimes it would be right on (10%), most were under exposed (80%) and a few were over exposed.

3) controls - it was difficult for me to use the camera quickly if any changes to settings were needed. The menu depth and arrangement is not as well planned as Nikon, even with the q button.

4) battery - the battery drained rapidly and seemed to be giving only about 60% of the life of a D700/D800.

Fortunately for me, the dealer had a D800 when I returned the 5D and after testing the 5D, the salesman returned to the counter with a D800 and apologized for the Canon. The great thing about dealing consistently with a local authorized dealer is you get great service. Full refund!

The D800 performs flawlessly. The images are beautiful and in sharp focus. After reading the posts on left focus issues, I started using the left focus points exclusively for several days just to check. There was no problem with my focus with any of the focus points.

Some day I hope the Federal Trade Commission (USA) investigates the activity on Internet forums and review sites to determine if a manufacturer is paying advertising agencies or even their own employees to troll and post disparaging information. This has happened in the past (in other media advertising and promotions) and resulted in legal action against the companies involved. This kind of ambush advertising or troll advertising should be easy to detect. It is interesting to see brand new members posting disparaging remarks on Nikonians or DPreview, particularly when many do not own the camera.

Visit JamesDane.Com.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G