Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Review of Real vs. Fake D800 Grip

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10535 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Fri 20-Jul-12 10:32 AM | edited Fri 20-Jul-12 10:39 AM by ericbowles

FStoppers has published a good review comparing the real Nikon MBD12 grip to a knockoff version costing just $100. They make several good suggestions and have some comments that are useful in evaluating knock-off grips in general. The punchline is they recommend the low cost knock off over the real version from a value perspective, but you can tell a difference in workmanship and quality.

http://fstoppers.com/fakembd12

One worry I would have that is not mentioned is the ability to use an L-bracket with the fake grip since the shape is different from the real grip. My guess is the grip will work with an L-Bracket that has a slot for the screw that attaches it to the camera so it can be adjusted to the side if needed.

Here is a link to the Pixel version on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008F83IVC/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=fstoppers-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B008F83IVC&adid=1SY8W9MQJPQBF0CFXTX6

Note that there is one review of the fake grip at Amazon. It is available from a couple of different sellers. The one review rated the grip high - but it had a faulty shutter release and AF button and is being replaced. The FStoppers review did not have much of a field test, so durability is unknown.

I have the real grip. Other than price, there are no issues and it works as it should.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

G