Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D800E & Depth of Field with Nikon 14-24 f2.8

Andrewcee

Swindon, UK
38 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Andrewcee Registered since 21st Jun 2011
Thu 12-Jul-12 03:49 PM

Hi,

My D800E landed a week ago. After successfully photographing seascapes around Poole Harbour last week, today I've been trying flash and DxO Optics software. Shot in raw, then just a couple of tweeks in post-processing to sharpen a wee bit and increase saturation, and output as a jpg...

Started with the 24-70mm f2.8. Fab images, but wanted to increase depth of field so the 'leaves in the background' were more in focus. Swap in the 14-24mm f2.8, get in real close, and things look much improved. Okay, all pretty much as expected, but great to see fact matching theory.

Fancy next having a go photographing water dropletts falling into a bowl with the 14-24 and flash at low levels so as to push effective shutter up to 1/5000-1/10000 sec. Have been modertately successful in the past using my D7000 & 105mm f2.8, but depth of field was lacking.

Conclusions? The D800 is a teriffic piece of kit. Nikon's Pro lenses are as every bit as sharp on my D800 as my D4. Stop down beyond f11 and diffraction sets in as written about many times.

Flowers shot with D800E & 14-24mm f2.8 at ISO 100, 24mm 1/750 @ f13. 3x SB800 & 1x SB900 flash fired in two groups using internal flash in Commander mode. All settings in manual - flash strength, focus, and exposure. Wish I could share the original image rather than a 300k jpg, 1000x800 pixels.

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G