Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
B LaRue

US
219 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
B LaRue Registered since 04th Nov 2010
Sat 07-Jul-12 07:01 PM

I decided to quit hijacking Darrell's thread

I called Berger Bros. about ordering the camera and they have a long list, with a wait of 45-60 days.

I trotted (well, OK, I drove) down to my local Best Buy, and while they did not have the D800 in that store, they located it in Wichita and it will ship to my local store (Oklahoma City) within 4-5 days.

I feel a bit guilty. So many Nikonians have been on waiting lists forever, and I enter the game today and will have mine in a few days. The same thing happened with the D7000. When I made the decision to buy, nobody seems to be able to get them. I went to my local camera shop and they had several in stock.

Maybe I should rent myself out as a personal shopper?

Anyway, I will wait on the computer upgrade until October, per suggestions, to see what is coming out. After breaking myself on the camera, I'll do good to save that much by October anyway!

I bought my first iMac at Best Buy several years ago, and while waiting for the camera order this morning, I checked them out. The Apple rep there said don't get a 2 TB one, get the 1. The reason is 1TB will hold all the software I need, and if I store photos on the mac hard drive, it would only be a little longer before I'd have 2 TB as full as a 1TB. He said invest that money in desktop HDs. Right now, the only files I have on my iMac are the folders I am currently working on. Once I've gone through a folder, it is moved to two external HDs. 1 TB will easily take care of the current stuff.

And, per your suggestions, he agreed that I should buy minimum RAM on the new iMac. I can save $300 by buying 16GB outright and installing it myself rather than asking them to upgrade the computer. I'll rope in a family member to do that for me.

Once I do get the iMac, I will need all the help I can get because I don't have a clue how to allot and partition. Scares me just to think about it.

You all are the greatest!

Betty

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Getting Mine