Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Good Way to Test Focus and Viewfinder W/O Fancy Equipment?

jim thomas

Edmond, US
1322 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003
Mon 02-Jul-12 01:32 AM

I received my D800E last week and have not had the time to conduct a meaningful test to see if it has the focusing problem. I understand that the focus problem is best detected with a wide aperture, say 2.8. I will therefore probably test mine with either the 17-35mm or 28-70mm at 2.8. I plan to shoot, as others have, a brick wall. Is there any advantage to using one of the more sophisticated targets that one can download? I have tried (not very hard though) to read a couple of articles describing how to test for focus and they quickly get too technical for me...or perhaps I am just too lazy to make the effort to follow them. So, being a lazy person, I am asking for a lazy man's technique that will determine whether my camera has the problem. I do want to make sure about this so I am willing to expend whatever time and enery is required.

Now for a pretty dumb question. I have been advised that I also need to do a "viewfinder test". I was too embarrassed to ask "what is that", so I am asking my fellow Nikonians "what is that"? I assume that it is to see if the viewfinder is displaying what the sensor is actually capturing. Is that right? If so, I guess one takes a mental picture of what the viewfinder shows, take a photo and see if the photo shows what one remembers was shown by the viewfinder. However, that seems like a very imprecise and unreliable way to do the test. Is there a better way...or am I not understanding what a viewfinder test is. Please save me the embarrassement of telling the well known professional who advised me to conduct the test that I don't know what he is talking about.

I will appreciate any help you are able to provide with regard to these questions.

JDT

G