Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

composition in Z grand (composition en Z majeur)

mabuge

BE
54 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mabuge Registered since 18th Mar 2012
Sat 23-Jun-12 01:45 PM | edited Sat 23-Jun-12 08:46 PM by mabuge

The crowds visiting the Chenonceau castle (Loire, France) adore its kitchen, leaving little room for a nutty* Nikonian-with-tripod blocking their passage. I only had one option: I had to act swiftly. I decided to keep the 14-24 mounted, the 24-120 would have been better to get detail shots, but time was running, I heard the next crowd rushing in... So, I put all my trust in a few grand angle shots, hoping the D800's high resolution would allow me to compose the pictures I wanted at first shot by shot, instead of having to crop. Light was dim - another obstacle, I thought - although I kept in mind the positive report dpreview made related to noise. Crossing my fingers I set the D800E to ISO 6400, 24 mm, 1/10, f/8 and fixed it using my Magica 2.4 tripod.

Click on image to view larger version

I zoomed to 100% by hitting Z in Aperture (clue number one for the subject title). Astonished, but very happy about the high quality I made following crops for myself, and for you to consider. In another thread I already claimed the D800 noise has charm, though not in all cases, but certainly in these kind of still life pictures:

IMHO this is a proof of the grand realization by the D800 engineers (grand: the second clue).

I decided to take a look at other pictures with the zoom feature. Because the 36 MP is huge versus the size of even a 27" screen, you only get a part of the picture. Surprise surprise: I saw details I found much better than the original much larger picture. That is another very useful feature of the 36 MP, you don't just crop to get a better cut-out, you get the ability to explore your pictures, ... and to produce a picture of what you failed to see at first. Exploring for other compositions, the third clue. By now you understand a D800 and a Z feature allows you to produce a symphony of crops, hence the title. The last picture looks like a painting.
The original 36 MP has been retouched to take away an ugly stand, all of them were sharpened, a bit of curve, no noise reduction. CORRECTION! See post below with 5 versions at different levels of NR (all crops and the original are in fact 50% NR). Still happy.

lyrical, Marc

*nutty - British Thesaurus
1. mad, crazy.
2. very keen on, devoted to, infatuated with, in love with, smitten with, enamoured of, hot for; enthusiastic, passionate, impassioned, ardent.

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)
Attachment#3 (jpg file)
Attachment#4 (jpg file)
Attachment#5 (jpg file)
Attachment#6 (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: composition in Z grand (composition en Z majeur)
Reply message RE: CORRECTION !!

G