Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Cliff notes, D800 video direct out

Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US
1842 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010
Sat 23-Jun-12 08:17 AM | edited Sat 23-Jun-12 09:20 AM by Robman3

(Mods, move if needed )

So far,

Surprise number one, video direct is getting sent at 29.97 fps, even while set to 23.97 fps in camera? That's a nuance which may be related to the capture device as I'm bridging with Mac Drive software.

I don't want to spend $4,800 on the CineForm based deck, at least not yet.

29.97 should also should make video folks migrating over happy, as some dislike the 24fps "filmic" look.

I'll have to sleuth this with Nikon, perhaps drive down and talk to the horses mouth about the why's, and if an upgrade firmware can fix that?

Surprise number two, "zoom" in real time live view buttons work, in direct out but not in SD/CF capture, something others might be aware of but a pleasant surprise to me.

That means the image in video is being cropped during capture without resetting the fn button for crop which requires a start stop of live view. The fn only activates FX or DX in video mode as we know.

How cool is that for macro video? Dunno', many folks do not shoot video, but it sounds cool, I may try it on the Bird of Paradise in the portico .

From Premier Pro's time line after drag and drop from the SSD dock, using DNxHD codec AFAICT, recording to Black Magic Hyper Deck 2, this is the read out:

File Path: C:\Users\Rob\Desktop\SSD\Capture0001.mov
Type: QuickTime Movie
File Size: 19.2 GB
Image Size: 1920 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 24
Frame Rate: 29.97
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 24 bit - Mono
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Mono
Total Duration: 00:02:02:18
Average Data Rate: 160.2 MB / second
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

QuickTime Details:
Movie contains 1 video track(s), 1 audio track(s) and 0 timecode track(s).

Video:
There are 3678 frames with a duration of 1/29.97th.

Video track 1:
Duration is 0:02:02:22
Average frame rate is 29.98 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:
Frame Size = 1920 x 1080
Compressor = Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2
Quality = Most (5.00)

Audio:
Audio track 1 contains 1 type(s) of audio data:

Audio data block #1:
Format = 24 bit - Stereo
Rate = 48000 Hz
Compressor = lpcm

So it's 10 BIT 4.2.2 captured on the Hyper Deck 2 according to Adobe.

Looks like a challenge regardless, some minor zebra artifacts (EDIT: I was playing back from C drive, DOH! Zebras are no longer an issue) but barely and insignificant color noise and PC screen moire. (The watch is propped against the LCD)

By no means is it daylight as the sun rises onto Zaberiskie, just high ISO 3200 f/8, 24-70 cranked all the way out at minimum distance (12" or so) with one clear 25w music stand oblong bulb overhead, hand held at close range, as my old film scoring stop watch spins the hands.

Uncompressed and impressed!

Have fun,

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G