Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Live view and diffraction.

greyface

Acushnet, US
1613 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
greyface Gold Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008
Sun 17-Jun-12 10:24 PM | edited Sun 17-Jun-12 10:29 PM by greyface

I have let NAS get to me and acquired a D800. Have been on the Nikon web site, which I should have done before, and noticed something that has me questioning my purchase. I have not had the chance to get out and shoot some images and am hopeful of getting some feedback from other D800 owners.

In the Nikon Technical Guide
http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf
page 6 they show a "static subject", a wide angle shot of a library. One image is shot with live view and one without. They point out the blur in some details on the image taken without live view. They seem to imply you should be shooting in live view to get maximum sharpness.

Is this effect due to the 36 megapixel count? Has anyone noticed a lack of sharpness when shooting handheld and not using live view or the mirror up feature?

Other than what I have read in the tech guide,I have not heard of any sharpness issues.I shoot with natural light and seldom use a tripod, a habit I am trying to change, or live view. I am trying more wildlife shooting and got the D800 to offset not having the long, very expensive, prime telephoto lenses. If the image has blur to begin with, cropping in will not be a help.
Oddly enough, the issue of diffraction when stopping down past f 11, depending on the lens, is something I can understand.
If this is not an issue, please excuse my paranoid rant.
-------------------

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Live view and diffraction.

G