Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
19US

Robbinsville, US
200 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
19US Registered since 20th Jul 2008
Sun 17-Jun-12 03:42 AM

Took about 50 shots tonight doing some further work with my D800 and 70-200 II lens, 2nd night out with them trying to see how they perform. Had a series of shots with these pair of white tail deer where I focused right on the head/eye area of the animal, but I feel like the setup is backfocusing. However, I have several others in the series, with same focus on eye of another animal, or other targets (tree stump, bird house, etc) where everything is fine and pics are great. Worked all the time on a monopod, leaning against a tree to try and maximize my stability.

I've attached a sample photo, would appreciate thoughts or suggestions. Is this due to my (poor) technique, is this an example of a setup that is backfocusing, as the grass seems in great focus, but the head of the further deer does not - and that was the target. ViewNX2 confirms the focus point directly on the head of the deer. Some of the other photos that came out well and gave me crisp results were in much poorer light. With my shutter speed, I expected the first deer (ear scratcher) to be OOF, figuring I was slow, but the gal behind was standing stock still, which is why I focused on her.

70-200mm lens @ 200mm; f/2.8; 1/500; ISO200 on monopod using RRS BH-40 ballhead. This is a crop of the original RAW with nothing applied other than downsizing and conversion to jpeg in CaptureNX2.

Any thoughts?
Tom

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Or more recent work here:
Bundle of Paws Photography.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Back Focus
Reply message RE: Back Focus