Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Benefits of Native ISO 100?

matcam

cambridge, US
723 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
matcam Silver Member Nikonian since 31st May 2007
Fri 15-Jun-12 05:30 PM

I decided to rent a D800 for a week before taking the plunge and the first thing I noticed when it arrived yesterday was that at its native iso of 100 I'm losing a stop of shutter speed as compared to my current body (D300s with native iso of 200). I've never owned a body with a 100 native iso before and for some reason had assumed that, using their respective native iso's, shooting the same lens at the same settings on the 300 and 800 would give me the same exposure.

On the one hand it makes perfect sense that I'd lose a stop of shutter speed because I'm a stop lower on the iso but then again in most situations with all those extra pixels I want to maximize my shutter speed to achieve the best imagage quality and here Nikon is taking away a full stop of speed. I've always assumed that the best quality is achieved at native iso so for me the downside of iso 100 is clear but I wonder if there is a benefit to going from 200 to 100? TIA for any perspective on this issue.

Matt Murphy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

My Flickr Setshttp://www.flickr.com/photos/28712192@N08/sets/>

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Benefits of Native ISO 100?

G