Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
slothead

Frederick, US
1905 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009
Wed 13-Jun-12 10:01 AM

I did not realize (until reading another thread) that the D800 had a USB 3.0 jack. The only thing I know about USB 3.0 is that I don't have anything to interface to the other end! From examining the USB 3.0 cable it appears that half of the cable is identical from a mini (micro?) USB 2.0 connector, thereby suggesting that the interface is backward compatible to USB 2.0. Does anyone know if this is true?

(If it isn't apparent, there are still several hours on the clock before I have my D800 in my hot little hands - why can't they put GPS tracking data online for UPS trucks? )

Related to this same line of discussion, is there a spec'ed data rate out of the D800's USB 3.0 interface? USB 3.0 is generally spec'ed as up to 4.8 Gps - the only thing faster that I know of is the Apple Thunderbolt interface. And other than the brand new Retina-display Mac Book Pro, what computers have real USB 3.0 interfaces? And can you tell from the large end of the USB cable whether it is a 2.0 or a 3.0 cable?

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D810, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: USB 3.0 Interface