Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Dancers in action 135 feet away

Devek

Tucson, US
88 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Devek Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jun 2012
Mon 11-Jun-12 01:45 AM

This was my first attempt to use the D800 with people... or should I say Dancers in action.

When I read the specs from other photographers who provide the info about their gear and setting, I always want to ask: How far were you from the object? No one writes this in their description. Why?

I went to take some shots of my daughter graduating from the Tucson Dance Academy Recital last week. I had no intention to shoot anything else. When the recital started, I realized that maybe I should try some settings on the D800 and see what happens.

Well A LOT had happened. The images below were taken using the D800 with a Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 lens on a monopod. All the settings were manual and all the images you see below were taken from 135 feet away from the stage! I was with my back to the far wall across the auditorium. No flash photography was allowed so what you see, are cropped images of what I think is an amazing piece of electronics!

After I posted those images, I received so many requests to have real full time shoots with more light and much closer that I was really surprised. After all, I came to take pictures of my 9 years old.

Enjoy.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Dancers in action 135 feet away